The purpose of this recipe is to make a simple, healthy dal dish with the least possible effort involved. No oil, no ghee just a simple tasty dish that would happily grace the table of any Indian family.
As with all dal recipes the longer and slower you cook them the better the end result. As a result I now tend to make most of my dal recipes, including this one using a slow cooker. A slow cooker perfectly replicates the traditional way of cooking dal overnight on the dying embers of a tandoor clay oven.
Mung Dal Ingredients
- 1 x cup of green mung dal
- 1 x teaspoon of ground cumin seeds
- 1 x teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 x chopped tomatoes
- 1 x green chilli sliced in half
1. Wash and soak the dal overnight before placing in the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
2. Cook for 24 hours in the slow cooker on ‘medium’ or until the dal is tender and is very soft to bite.
3. Serve with fresh naan, chapati or rice and yogurt.
With so few ingredients this recipe takes only 2-3 minutes actual preparation. All of the heavy lifting is done by the slow cooker so you just need to make sure you plan ahead a day or two beforehand.